InstChoco - The ULTIMATE Chocolatey and Chocolatey packages (re)installer!
QUESTION: "Why do I need an installer for Chocolatey when I already have Chocolatey installed?"
ANSWER: You need InstChoco for the NEXT time you want to install Chocolatey and automate package (re)installation!
InstChoco is the evolution of an old batch file I’ve used over the years to automate installing Chocolatey followed by a bunch of "choco install packagename -y" commands to install my standard toolset of programs. In 2017 I turned that old batch file into a program with many additional features. Thus, InstChoco was born. I also integrated InstChoco with other Chocolatey packages I've created. InstChoco is especially useful when used along with Choco Package List Backup to Local and Cloud (https://chocolatey.org/packages/choco-package-list-backup). What you see now is the culmination of many long hard hours of work making InstChoco the ULTIMATE Chocolatey and Chocolatey packages (re)installer! InstChoco is extremely feature rich, but I'm always open to new ideas and features. Feel free to contact me via https://chocolatey.org/packages/InstChoco/ContactOwners with feedback or suggestions.
* InstChoco uses ferventcoder/Rob's "Install with cmd.exe" method for installing Chocolatey.
* InstChoco can install Chocolatey v0.10.11 offline. No Internet required.
* InstChoco will enable up to four choco features if you pass them as parameters,
i.e. allowGlobalConfirmation, failOnAutoUninstaller, allowEmptyChecksums, useRememberedArgumentsForUpgrades, etc.
* InstChoco can download a PACKAGES.CONFIG file from the Internet and install packages from that downloaded file.
* InstChoco will automatically search for a PACKAGES.CONFIG file in various locations on your computer and install
packages from it if found.
* InstChoco has baked in support for Choco Package List Backup to Local and Cloud. InstChoco will use the first found
PACKAGES.CONFIG in the following order: current directory, Documents folder, HOMESHARE, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive,
iCloudDrive, OneDrive, ReadyCLOUD, Nextcloud, Resilio Sync, Seafile, or Tonido Sync.
* InstChoco has baked in support for Choco Persistent Packages. InstChoco will use PERSISTANTPACKAGES.CONFIG and
install packages from it if found.
* InstChoco has a baked in mini version of Choco Package List Backup to Local and Cloud to backup a list of your
installed Chocolatey packages.
* InstChoco has baked in support for Windows Active Directory domains. InstChoco will use various PACKAGES.CONFIG
files based on domain and user account to install packages from them if found. Now you can easily standardize
your organization with base Chocolatey package installs.
SPECIAL FEATURES FOR WINDOWS ACTIVE DIRECTORY DOMAINS:
* InstChoco will use DOMAINNAMEPACKAGES.CONFIG and install packages from it if found. This allows Windows AD domain
joined computers to have a commonly installed base setup of Chocolatey packages across all organizational computers.
To use this feature, system administrators of Windows AD domains need to create a DOMAINNAMEPACKAGES.CONFIG
file and put it in your logon server's NETLOGON directory;
* InstChoco will use USERNAMEPACKAGES.CONFIG and install packages from it if found. This allows users of Windows AD
domain joined computers to have their own specific Chocolatey packages installed for them, useful for first time
setup and roaming users. To use this feature, system administrators or users in Windows AD domains need to create
a USERNAMEPACKAGES.CONFIG file and put it in the root of the user's HOMESHARE;
Install-Package instchoco -Version 2.11.0
dotnet add package instchoco --version 2.11.0
<PackageReference Include="instchoco" Version="2.11.0" />
paket add instchoco --version 2.11.0
#r "nuget: instchoco, 2.11.0"
// Install instchoco as a Cake Addin #addin nuget:?package=instchoco&version=2.11.0 // Install instchoco as a Cake Tool #tool nuget:?package=instchoco&version=2.11.0
To download InstChoco directly:
* 2.11 - -offline now installs Chocolatey v0.10.15, online install bug fix
* 2.10 - Added -offline Chocolatey install option.
* 2.02 - Removed legacy date checking and connectivity checking which only worked in English environments.
* 2.01 - Fixed bug with non-domain joined computers.
* 2.00 - Added -browse, -popular, -backup, -backupwithversions, -license options as well as many cosmetic changes. Added iCloudDrive support. Commercial use of InstChoco v2+ requires a paid license.
* 1.30 - Added ability to download a packages.config file from the web and install packages from it.
* 1.21 - Added Box, Nextcloud, and Seafile support to catch up with choco-package-list-backup.
* 1.20 - Added domain support to install predefined packages for domain joined computers and user specific packages.
* 1.11 - (unreleased) Added -ynp switch to skip installation of packages. (Install Chocolatey only)
* 1.10 - Added [Choco Package List Backup to Local and Cloud](https://chocolatey.org/packages/choco-package-list-backup) and [Choco Persistent Packages](https://chocolatey.org/packages/choco-persistent-packages) support for package (re)installation. Cosmetic changes. Checks for year 2018 or greater instead of 2017 or greater. Updated donation info. :)
* 1.00 - Initial release.
This package has no dependencies.
This package is not used by any NuGet packages.
This package is not used by any popular GitHub repositories.