dotnet add package altcover --version 8.6.45
NuGet\Install-Package altcover -Version 8.6.45
<PackageReference Include="altcover" Version="8.6.45" />
paket add altcover --version 8.6.45
#r "nuget: altcover, 8.6.45"
// Install altcover as a Cake Addin #addin nuget:?package=altcover&version=8.6.45 // Install altcover as a Cake Tool #tool nuget:?package=altcover&version=8.6.45
Instrumenting coverage tool for .net (framework 2.0+ and core) and Mono assemblies, reimplemented and extended almost beyond recognition from dot-net-coverage, plus a set of related utilities for processing the results from this and from other programs producing similar output formats.
See the Wiki page for full details
I really want coverage for my .net core unit test project right now
Install into your test project
dotnet add package AltCover
dotnet test /p:AltCover=true
The OpenCover format output will be in file
coverage.xml in the project directory
What's in the box?
For Mono, .net framework and .net core, except as noted
AltCover, a command-line tool for recording code coverage (net472 and .netcoreapp2.0)
- MSBuild tasks to drive the tool, including
- A PowerShell module for Windows PowerShell 5.1 and PowerShell Core 6+ containing a cmdlet that drives the tool, and other cmdlets for manipulating coverage reports
- A coverage visualizer tool (net472) -- for .net framework, needs GTK# v2.12.xx installed separately
As the name suggests, it's an alternative coverage approach. Rather than working by hooking the .net profiling API at run-time, it works by weaving the same sort of extra IL into the assemblies of interest ahead of execution. This means that it should work pretty much everywhere, whatever your platform, so long as the executing process has write access to the results file. You can even mix-and-match between platforms used to instrument and those under test.
In particular, while instrumenting .net core assemblies "just works" with this approach, it also supports Mono, as long as suitable
.pdb, in recent versions) symbols are available. One major limitation here is that the
.mdb format only stores the start location in the source of any code sequence point, and not the end; consequently any nicely coloured reports that take that information into account may show a bit strangely.
Why altcover? -- the back-story of why it was ever a thing
Back in 2010, the new .net version finally removed the deprecated profiling APIs that the free NCover 1.5.x series relied upon. The first version of AltCover was written to both fill a gap in functionality, and to give me an excuse for a ground-up F# project to work on. As such, it saw real production use for about a year and a half, until OpenCover reached a point where it could be used for .net4/x64 work (and I could find time to adapt everything downstream that consumed NCover format input).
Fast forwards to autumn 2017, and I get the chance to dust the project off, with the intention of saying that it worked on Mono, too -- and realise that it's déja vu all over again, because .net core didn't yet have profiler based coverage tools either, and the same approach would work there as well.
Possible retirement/obsolescence of support
tl;dr -- legacy framework/Mono support is not going away any time soon.
net472 can consume
netstandard2.0 libraries (everything but the recorder), and .net core 2+ can consume
net20 libraries (the recorder), legacy framework/Mono support continues until such a time as it is no longer possible to retain those API levels.
Other NuGet Packages in this suite
- API install -- excludes the visualizer in all forms
- dotnet global tool install -- excludes the visualizer in all forms
- Visualizer dotnet global tool -- just the .net core/Avalonia Visualizer as a global tool
- FAKE build task utilities -- just AltCover related helper types for FAKE scripts (v5.23.0 or later), only in this package
- Cake build task utilities -- just AltCover related helper types for Cake scripts (v2.0.0 or later), only in this package
|.NET||net5.0 net5.0-windows net6.0 net6.0-android net6.0-ios net6.0-maccatalyst net6.0-macos net6.0-tvos net6.0-windows net7.0 net7.0-android net7.0-ios net7.0-maccatalyst net7.0-macos net7.0-tvos net7.0-windows|
|.NET Core||netcoreapp2.0 netcoreapp2.1 netcoreapp2.2 netcoreapp3.0 netcoreapp3.1|
|.NET Standard||netstandard2.0 netstandard2.1|
|.NET Framework||net20 net35 net40 net403 net45 net451 net452 net46 net461 net462 net463 net47 net471 net472 net48 net481|
This package has no dependencies.
This package is not used by any NuGet packages.
GitHub repositories (15)
Showing the top 5 popular GitHub repositories that depend on altcover:
Simple, powerful, cross-platform SQLite client and ORM for .NET
A simple package with guard clause extensions.
ReportGenerator converts coverage reports generated by coverlet, OpenCover, dotCover, Visual Studio, NCover, Cobertura, JaCoCo, Clover, gcov or lcov into human readable reports in various formats.
Base class with tests for adding specifications to a DDD model
Database migration tool for .NET and .NET Core projects. Inspired by Flyway.
This build from https://github.com/SteveGilham/altcover/tree/a51f588aad950ba8a43e8818adb9fab4663b2475
Q. Never mind the fluff -- how do I get started?
A. Start with the Quick Start guide : https://github.com/SteveGilham/altcover/wiki/QuickStart-Guide and
read the FAQ : https://github.com/SteveGilham/altcover/wiki/FAQ
8.6.45 (Habu series release 21)
• [BUGFIX] Issue #179 - Improve and strengthen the heuristic for locating dependent assemblies, prossibly slightly speeding the look-up in the process by eliminating potentially duplicated effort.
8.6.40 (Habu series release 20)
• [BUGFIX] Issue #178 - possible NRE when instrumenting woven code e.g. using Fody
• [AvaloniaVisualizer] Now requires net5.0 or later
• Supports Fake 6.0.0. This is probably the last release that will support earlier versions, as 5.23.1 is almost 6 months old.
• Supports net8.0 previews 1,2 (so far, no nasty surprises like with the 7.0.100 release)
8.6.14 (Habu series release 19)
• [GTKVisualizer] Fix an off-by-one crash for coverlet generated files
• [AvaloniaVisualizer] Fix possible crash launching the About dialog
• [Visualizer] Display coverage percentages against nodes of the tree (known issue that the synthetic F# module nodes are not thus decorated)
• [Visualizer] Improve handling of larger coverage files by deferring more processing until the tree model is actually expanded.
• [API] Types Options.CLI, Options.Logging, Options.Prepare and Options.Collect in namespace AltCover; concrete implementations of the ICLIOptions, ILoggingOptions and IPrepareOptions and ICollectOptions respectively, with getter and setter for each property. Default values for the latter two are as per the corresponding Primitive record types.
• [API] Also on the AltCover.Fake package in the AltCoverFake.DotNet.Testing namespace (except Options.Logging which is not useful in that context)
8.5.842 (Habu series release 18)
• [VISUALIZER] As the relevant Avalonia issue is long resolved, move to having separate dialog boxes for the Avalonia Visualizer's "About" and message box, as in the GTK# version.
• ref struct types have an autogenerated [Obsolete] attribute with a standard comment - detect and ignore such attributes. See https://turnerj.com/blog/ref-structs-are-technically-obsolete for details.
8.5.841 (Habu series release 17)
• To support Cake 3.0, move the Cake API assembly from AltCover.Api to a new package AltCover.Cake; this contains libraries built against Cake 2.0.0 at netcoreapp3.1 as well as the old ones built against Cake 1.0.0 at netstandard2.0 (present but in practice obsolete).
• Following Fake.build's policy of deprecating releases older then 6 month, drop support for versions before 5.23
• [BREAKING] Rename AltCover.Cake.DotNet.DotNetCoreTest to AltCover.Cake.DotNet.DotNetTest (even in the obsolete 1.0.0 build) to match the changes in the Cake APIs (and consequent chage to the test setting type in the argument list). Similarly, in the version >= 2.0.0 build, the type AltCover.Cake.DotNet is now a [CakeAliasCategory("DotNet")] rather than [CakeAliasCategory("DotNetCore")]
• [API] New DotNet APIs for Fake support - ToTestPropertiesList method to emit a list of (name,value) pairs to allow customised property passing to dotnet test in the wake of the v7.0.100 regression.
• [API] Additionally ImportModuleProperties and GetVersionProperties values that are additonal lists of (name,value) pairs to append as needed.
For previous releases (8.4.840 and earlier) go here -- https://github.com/SteveGilham/altcover/blob/master/ReleaseNotes%20-%20Previously.md